About LUS Fiber : Historical Timeline
A brief timeline exhibiting the key points in the history of the LUS Fiber initiative:
LUS builds fiber ring for better communication within municipal utility system.
Greater Lafayette Chamber of Commerce and LEDA work with LUS to establish wholesale and governmental retail network.
• City proposes its 4th utility: Fiber-To-The-Home-and-Business Network.
• Local Government Fair Competition Act passed at urging of incumbent telecommunications and cable TV providers.
• Incumbent providers file lawsuit.
Citizens vote 62% - 38% to approve bond funding of system.
Two anonymous citizens file suit.
• Louisiana Supreme Court rules in favor of LUS.
• $110.4 million in bonds issued in July for LUS Fiber project.
Phased build-out construction starts in February.
First customers receive services in early February.
Phased build-out completed, months ahead of schedule, bringing 100% fiber optic access to all of Lafayette.